I have mixed feelings about the ending of this book. The first aspect that I noticed is that Kingsolver took her merry time wrapping up the story. I will have to admit that I thought this was kind of a slow read for me. I have read books that I enjoy more for sure, so this was not exactly one of my favorites. I would say, that the most annoying part of this book to me was the environmental warnings that were loudly placed in the plot of the story. To me it was like a fly buzzing around my ear that I could not swat away, distracting me from paying attention to the characters and their stories. I can appreciate that Kingsolver married the plot and the environmental warming into one story, but I felt as though it was included at the expense of some of the characters. I was very disappointed with the exit of Ovid from the story. I felt as though there was no real closure within me when it came to his character. He just up and left after realizing the butterflies had been frozen to death. So that made me feel like he was only there to be a tool for the environmental warning. I wanted to see more within the friendship of Ovid and Dellarobia other than just him helping her get into college.

Another issue I had with the ending was the fact that at first I got the impression that most of the butterflies had died in the snow storm, that they had frozen to death. But in the very last few paragraphs of the book, it was obvious that millions of them had survived, since they were all flying downhill. I felt as though the butterflies surviving was needed as symbolism for the fact that Dellarobia had finally found her peace after leaving Cub and going to college, making something of herself. But at the same time it defeats the environmental warning that was so prominent in the book. So was this really a book about global warming or was it a book about a woman finding her peace within a swarm of displaced butterflies?