This is no doubt that there are a lot of issues that are being represented in this book. Kingsolver does a great job of packing lots of modern day societal issues into one story. Global Warming, Religion, Education, Social class superiority, I can really appreciate her ability to blend an issue such as education into the plot of the story. Like the interaction between Dellarobia and Ovid when he seems to be astounded at the fact that they did not have higher level math at Feathertown High, or the fact that most of the students who graduate don’t find a need to go to college. But with Ovid’s reaction to this fact, it has an underlying notion that these students don’t have the option to go to college, so they don’t even try. I believe that Kingsolver is trying to mirror the thoughts of society in this book. Dellarobia keeps comparing her way of life to those of a higher social class. Like saying “those college ho’s” or referring to more educated people who can shop at more expensive stores for Christmas gifts. I believe that with all the focus on social issues in this book, Kingsolver is trying to convey to the reader that there is a real issue with social class in this country. I believe that she might even be saying that those who are in a lower income bracket are not payed attention to by the government and society, and that this is a real problem. I can appreciate Kingsolver’s want and ability to intertwine these issues with such a fictional story.
There is one other thing that I noticed that is more related to the symbolism in the book. Dellarobia has an apparent discontent with the way her life turned out. I feel that the displacement of the Monarch butterflies in some ways is representative of Dallrobia’s displacement of her life, compared to what she wanted her life to be. She wanted to go to college, so she went to go take the ACT’s, but her unplanned pregnancy and shotgun marriage stopped her from fulfilling what so many others in her town failed to fulfill. God’s “gift” got in the way of her dreams. Much like global warming got in the way of the butterflies natural migration practices. I feel that Dellarobia’s urge to save the butterflies and have them shipped down to Florida so they can be saved is her way of subconsciously trying to save herself. But she cannot control her own life, so she takes the chance to save the lives of these butterflies. But yet again, the natural process keeps her from saving them, because they cannot be taken from where they ended up, in the cold mountains of Tennessee, away from what they wanted in Mexico. I feel somewhat sorry for Dellarobia, in a pathetic kind of way. Her moral compass isn’t exactly working, but she is only trying to make it day-by-day, much like everyone else.