After finishing Binocular Vision there is no doubt that Edith Pearlman is one of the most talented authors introduced to me in my college career. Every story is full of wisdom and insight to the most common problems that remain behind closed doors. Whether the story is about love, divorce, a sick child, or suffrage;  Pearlman has strategically placed the most important insignificant moments throughout the pages so simply they can easily go unnoticed.

What I appreciated most out of the collection was how the year in each story remained ambiguous. Pearlman often gives clues to the time period but exempting it from the text allows her to remain unanchored. When I took my first creative writing class I decided that one day I wanted to write a book of short stories about college tales based on the relationship and traditions between an all girls school and an all boys school. I wanted the stories to be timeless. I wanted to show how strong traditions could be by creating a blend through the decades so all readers would relate. I wanted the lady I babysat for to read my story and see her friends at Hollins piling into the car fifteen years ago; and for the Judge at the coffee shop to remember being that guy who jumped off the roof of the Boathouse, all while the girl graduating in 2020 to read it and think, this is totally about us.  Although my great book idea was far from Pearlman’s, she masters that void in time that I have always wanted to be able to create.